· Epidermis is single layered with stomata and heavily coated with silica deposits
· Outer cortex is sclerenchymatous and chlorenchymatous
· Often sclerenchaymatous below ridges followed by chlorenchymatous region
· Inner cortex is made up of large parenchymatous cells with vallecular canals.
· Vallecular canals are large air filled, intercellular spaces below the furrows in inner cortex
· It is a hydrophytic character
· Endodermis and pericycle single layered
· Stele: Eustele, siphonostele; ring of vascular bundles below the ridges.
· Vascular bundle is conjoint, collateral and closed and separated from one another by parenchyma
· V.B consists of xylem, phloem and carinal canal
· Xylem is poorly developed.
· Carinal canal is a water filled region present in the vascular bundle.
· Formed by the disintegration of protoxylem tracheids
· Pith: Large central cavity filled with water (hydrophytic character)